I made 30 new outfits with this simple closet editing system
I recently drank a boba tea and filmed myself cleaning out my closet lol.
My inspiration/vision board
I strive to have a streamlined, capsule wardrobe, but my closet full of colorful, thrifted pieces makes this slightly more difficult. However, being the queen of pattern mixing that I am, I was able to create 30 outfits out of pieces I already own.
Here's my process:
- Make a vision board for your personal style
- Pull out all of your clothes
- Sort into 4 piles: (1) Pieces you love & wear all the time, (2) Pieces you no longer like (3) Pieces that you’d wear more if you got them tailored (4) Pieces that you like, but don’t wear as often as you’d like.
- Make new outfit combinations out of the pieces you wear all the time and the pieces you don’t wear often. Try things on!
- Take photos of the outfits you like & save them to an “outfits” photo album
- Once you’ve made all of your outfits, look back at your vision board & make a list of things you could buy that would be a welcome addition to your new capsule wardrobe
These are all of the outfits I came up with
Video is linked below if you'd like to see the process in action.
Subscribe to Soft Practice—An email newsletter for artists and makers
Soft Practice is about making art without an art degree, paying attention, and keeping the promises we make to ourselves. It's about practice. And quitting. And starting again.
It arrives in your inbox once a month (usually on a Sunday) and is best consumed with a hot beverage. In each newsletter I will share all the messy parts along my journey to becoming a full-time artist and maker, help you get organized to better manage your creative projects, and offer up some thoughtful (and sometimes weird) recommendations.